New to SCERS
Welcome to SCERS!
We’re glad to have you as one of our valued members! For a brief introduction to SCERS, watch the Orientation video.
If you have not submitted your Member’s Affidavit please do so as soon as possible.
If you are coming to SCERS from another California public retirement system, you may be able to establish reciprocity, which has several benefits. Reciprocity refers to a legal relationship between SCERS and other California public retirement systems intended to encourage careers in public service and to connect retirement benefits earned by employees under two or more systems.
Reciprocal retirement systems include:
- County retirement systems governed by the County Employees Retirement Law of 1937 (1937 Act)
- California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS)
- California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS)
- Judges Retirement System (JRS)
- Public retirement systems that have full reciprocity agreements with CalPERS
Reciprocity provisions apply to any member entering SCERS from a reciprocal system as long as the member meets all of the following conditions:
- SCERS date of membership is within 180 days following the termination of employment with the reciprocal system.
- Member left plan contributions on deposit in the reciprocal system. Member’s service in the reciprocal system does not overlap with entry into SCERS. Service is considered overlapping even when a member terminates service in conjunction with any type of absence, such as, leave of absence, vacation time or sick time.
Effective January 1, 2013, an individual who moves between public retirement systems within 180 days and establishes reciprocity will be entitled to membership in:
- Miscellaneous Tier 4 or Safety Tier 3 – County of Sacramento
- Miscellaneous Tier 3 – All other participating employers
These membership categories have different formulas, pensionable compensation, and eligibility requirements. Members are encouraged to inquire about whether they qualify as soon as possible.
Please refer to the Member Handbook for other important information about your membership with SCERS.