Quick Reference Guide III
Disability Retirement Formulas
Estimated Unmodified Retirement Allowance*
As A Percentage Of Final Compensation
Nonservice-Connected Disability Retirement Formula
First Tier Miscellaneous Category Members
- 1.5% times your years of credited service = “X”%.
- If “X”% is equal to or greater than 33-1/3%, you receive “X”% of final compensation.
- If “X”% is less than 33-1/3%, add to the actual years of credited service, the number of years between the retirement age (current) and age 65, and redo the calculation.
- If the new “X”% is greater than 33-1/3%, you receive 33-1/3% of final compensation.
- If the new “X”% is equal to or less than 33-1/3%, you receive that percentage of final compensation.
First Tier Safety Category Members-Representation Units 001, 002, 004, 006
- Substitute 1.5% (in the above) with 1.8%; and, replace age 65 with 55.
- Do the calculation.
Second or Third Tier Miscellaneous Category Members, First Tier Safety Category (Representation Unit 003) and Second Tier Safety
- Also applicable to certain employees representation unit members per memorandum of understanding.
|Years Credited Service||Percentage of Final Compensation|
Service-Connected Disability Retirement Formula
- First and Second Tier Safety, First Tier Miscellaneous, Second Tier Miscellaneous and Third Tier Miscellaneous Category Members: 50% of final compensation.
*Note: In the event a member’s service retirement benefit is higher than the nonservice or service connected disability retirement benefit, SCERS may pay the service retirement benefit.